Date:      Sun, 21 Nov 2004 18:30:40 -0600
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        Martin Hudec <corwin@aeternal.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Passing options to  configure / compiler

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 19:32:14 +0100, Martin Hudec <corwin@aeternal.net>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 05:40:01PM +0100 or thereabouts, Remko Lodder
> wrote:
> > Vittorio wrote:
> > >I couldn't find in the docs how to pass options to the configure
> > >script.
> > >

> > if you want to use WITH_TESTS for example you need to add
> >
> > make WITH_TESTS=yes install clean (or something similiar)
> >
> > when portupgrade'ing that you should do
> >
> > portupgrade -M 'WITH_TESTS=yes' postgresql
> > (or again; something similiar)
> >
> > Hope that helps!
>
> 	It would be nice for him to set options pkgtools.conf, which
> can be usually found in /usr/local/etc.
>
> For example:
> I want links to be compiled without X11 support, so I set in section
> named MAKE_ARGS following:
>
> 	'www/links' => 'WITHOUT_X11=yes',
>
> so this compilation option will be reflected next time he uses
> portupgrade utility. Otherwise portupgrade will ignore previous
> compilation options. Or at least I don't know how to tell portupgrade
> which options did I use to compile the port :).

This also has the advantage of being able to set arguments to configure
which the port maintainer may not have provided knobs for, by doing
something like this:

	'www/links' => 'CONFIGURE_ARGS+=--some-option-to-configure',

Of course, this all depends on having portupgrade installed, and using
it consistently for building/upgrading.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads@cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"