Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2002 12:05:05 -0500
From:      "Arnaud van Koppen" <arnaud@vkoppen.com>
To:        <csmith@icdc.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
Cc:        "freebsd.org" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Suggestions for handbook Was: Errors when making Kernel

I my case the problem was in de GENERIC kernel config file that comes with
the distribution.
The line "device umass # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da" is
listed under USB devices, so when you go through the list without reading
every line properly, thinking 'I want to use my USB', you leave everything
uncommented, missing the dependency.

I'm using 'The complete FreeBSD', 3rd edition, wihich is not mentioning the
USB-options at all, and the online handbook, which just mentions the list,
without pointing out the dependency, so it can easily be missed.

But I have to admit that proper reading would avoid the problem.

Hope this will help you.

Arnold