Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 03:56:11 -0700
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: very old bug

Thus spake Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>:
> In message <20020410110605.GJ82820@dru.dn.ua>, "Vladislav V. Zhuk" writes:
> >After attempt to write data to write-protected floppy
> >(or diskette with bad blocks) FreeBSD die.
> >
> >It's VERY VERY annoying...  :(
> >
> >Who can fix this bug??
>
> Unfortunately, this is believed to be very hard to fix, so the best
> recommendation is that you avoid mounting filesystems from floppy
> disks.

This question has come up before, and the answer was the same.  I'm
interested in *why* this is such a problem.  I can pinpoint the
location of the infinite loop, at least in the msdosfs code, but I
don't know enough about how everything interacts to fix it ``the right
way.''  Clearly the real source of the problem is elsewhere, in the
code involved in writing to the disk.  Can someone please explain what
is going on, and why the fix would be so difficult?  Thanks.