Date:      Sat, 28 Jan 1995 12:39:19 -0700 (MST)
From:      "D. Chadwick Gibbons" <cgibbons@unm.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        cgibbons@unm.edu
Subject:   installation problems on a WDC AC2540H

I've been trying to install FreeBSD V2.0 on a Gateway 2000 P5-60 using a
Western Digital Caviar AC2540H hard drive (516MB, 1048cyl, 16hds, 63sec).
The BIOS remaps the drive settings to 523cyls, 32hds, and 63sec.  When
FreeBSD boots, it prints an error message along the lines that "can't
handle 32hds, changing to controller default of 16."  If I use FreeBSD's
fdisk to change the drive geometry back to the BIOS remapping, it will
also print that message again.

If FreeBSD attempts to use the original (nonmapped) drive geometry, then
it does not peacfully coexist with the system, and FreeBSD won't boot, or
if I coerce it, it wont read the drive partition after booting.

Any ideas on how I may procede?  I am also having problems getting
FreeBSD's fdisk to deal with my 2nd IDE drive, a 1GB WDC drive.

Thanks,
D. Chadwick Gibbons - University of New Mexico - cgibbons@unm.edu

p.s. is the Adaptec 294x SCSI driver going to be available anytime in the
near future?