Date:      Tue, 7 Aug 2001 11:40:37 +0200
From:      Bernd Rinn <Bernd.Rinn@uni-konstanz.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   current free mem under FreeBSD

Hi all,

I am currently porting a Queuing System (fair scheduling and load
balancing) to FreeBSD which we have written for Linux. For this port I
need to know how to get a FreeBSD machine's current free memory, i.e.
the maximum amount of memory a program can currently use without
driving the machine to (heavy) paging activity. (This is provided in
/proc/meminfo under Linux.) Currently I am using the formula (using
sysctl variables):

(vm.stats.vm.v_page_count-vm.stats.vm.v_active_count)*(vm.stats.vm.v_page_size/1024)

but I suspect that it might not be correct...

Regards,

Bernd

P.S.: Please CC to Bernd.Rinn@uni-konstanz.de since I am not
      subscribed to the list.
--
Bernd Rinn
Fakultät für Physik

Tel. 07531/88-3812,
e-mail: Bernd.Rinn@uni-konstanz.de
PGP-Fingerprint: 1F AC 31 64 FF EF A9 67  6E 0D 4C 26 0B E7 ED 5C