Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2012 11:46:26 -0400
From:      "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Do I need to use sysutils/ataidle to avoid high LCC for my hard drive?

On 8 October 2012 08:14, Denise H. G. <darcsis@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list.
>
> I am currently running FreeBSD 9.1-PRERELEASE on my laptop. And I am
> wondering if I still need to use sysutiles/ataidle to avoid high Load
> Cyle Count for my hard drive. Is there still a need to run this utility
> to avoid LCC under FreeBSD 9.1-PRERELEASE?

I believe so, as my Load Cycle Count still increments fairly quickly
when let.  Though as long as you have "options ATA_CAM"
(it appears to be in GENERIC, so you should, I suppose) you
can also use variations on:
/sbin/camcontrol cmd ada0 -a "EF 85 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00"
to shut off naps & such as well.