Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 13:02:46 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: nexus_setup_intr: NULL irq resource!

On 1999-Nov-12 12:35:01 +1100, Mark Newton wrote:
>Peter Jeremy wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to enable a generic ISA multiport SIO card in -current from
> > just before the signal changes and get presented with the above panic
> > when the first SIO port on the card is attached.
>
>Well... the first port that doesn't mention an IRQ.

I can't recall right now whether the panic occurred with sio3 or sio4
when sio3 was master (and had an interrupt).

>The problem is that the BUS_SETUP_INTR() method for ISA seems to
>absolutely require the specification of an IRQ, even though IRQ
>specification is absolutely prohibited for non-master ports in
>AST-compatible multi-port sio cards.  Gah.

That's what the code looked like to me as well.  Since multi-port SIO
cards are supported, but will not have interrupts for the slave ports,
I assumed I was missing something in the maze of nested, indirect
function calls :-).

As an aside, why doesn't our SIO driver work with ports that don't
have interrupts?

>I'm not completely sure that this patch does the right thing

Since your patch effectively turns isa_setup_intr() into a nop for
this case, a better patch would seem to be to skip the call to
BUS_SETUP_INTR() (and presumably bus_alloc_resource()) at the end
of sioattach() when you're attaching a slave SIO port.

Peter