Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 16:31:28 +0100
From:      Stuart Henderson <stuart@internationalschool.co.uk>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD not mentioned on NPR "alternative OSes" show

Mark Ovens wrote:

> Really?. Comp Shopper including regular, favourable articles about UNIX?. I

There isn't usually much about it but a few of their writers know about
it now (I think this was a redhat review, so seeing it mentioned was
particularly welcome alongside words like reliable etc. :-)

there was a bit of a mention in an article about e-commerce a month or
two ago as well, although the price of leased lines over here doesn't
help much getting people to try and run that themselves (although if
other isp's follow easynet's lead it should get a bit better) and leave
it up to whatever their isp uses, although quite often that's some kind
of BSD anyway :-)

> > Maybe they could use some of those 2.2.6 cd's ...
>
> Yes.

I have a feeling you'd probably get rid of all of them extremely quickly
with a coupon almost anywhere in the magazine (except maybe right in the
middle of the front 400-odd pages of adverts :-)

I email'd their editor a few months ago to ask if they would consider
cover mounting a cutdown release (if only a few selected packages, maybe
samba,netscape,lynx, that kind of thing, were included it could quite
happily sit on the same CD as their usual Microsoft adverts etc) but no
reply - maybe it needs helping along by the authors of friendly articles
(I'll have a dig around for email addresses later)...

I noticed someone asking them if they'd put Red Hat on a cover CD in the
chat forum on their web pages recently but I don't know if anyone
important reads those. They've done a Linux cover CD before though, time
for something different I think :-)