Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2013 15:25:56 -0800
From:      Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
To:        David Demelier <demelier.david@gmail.com>
Cc:        Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>
Subject:   Re: 9.2-PRE: switch off that stupid "Nakatomi Socrates"

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 2:57 PM, David Demelier
<demelier.david@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I have loader_logo="orb" and I still have a message at the right bottom
> >> with that stupid joke.

I know that you're passionate about this topic, but if you could drop
the subjective parts and focus on the facts, that would be more
constructive.

> Seriously, I don't understand why people waste time to create jokes like
> that instead of working on serious issues.

Because we're not robots.  We need to occasionally shift gears to
avoid burning out.  Taking a break to do something playful can
actually improve overall productivity.

Especially if you're pushing hard to get a world-class OS out the door
in your copious free time.

> >> Also in the future you can just forgot that crappy ideas as you can see,
> >> nobody liked it.

I actually thought that it was pretty cool. It may have needed an
easier off switch, but I think that it was harmless.

> Check again in the lists, I'm not the only one complaining on that.

This depends on which lists.  I'm not the only one who thought it was
cool.  People were passing it around and appreciating the reference.

I'm honestly mystified by the backlash on this.  Did people panic
because they thought they'd been hacked?  If so, future logo humor
could be adjusted to account for this.

I understand leaving out true code-based easter eggs, to keep code
clean and simple.  But this was a humorous logo change for an alpha
release.  It seems harmless to me.

Royce