Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 1995 20:19:33 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        cfs@numero1.mat.puc.cl
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: port of Mesa-1.2.2 in FreeBSD.cdrom.com:/pub/incoming

 * I made a port of Mesa-1.2.2.

By the way, are you aware that there is a port already in place?
(Although it's not working very well...in particular, it doesn't
install.)  If you haven't, please take a look, it's and old version
and all but may have some hints that are long lost.

 * It's now in FreeBSD.cdrom.com:/pub/incoming.
 * (should be opened under /usr/ports/graphics)
 * There are three files, the port, the package, and the package description.!

I can't read /pub/incoming, but found Mesa-1.2.2.port.tar.gz in
/pub/FreeBSD/incoming (which is the correct directory to upload).

 * You probably already now this, but making the thing compile/run
 * is 10% of the history... creating the files in /usr/ports,
 * and being sure everything compiles/installs/run/make package ok is
 * the real work.

Right.

But ohmygod, this thing has a 168KB patch!  Can you take a look and
delete the hunks that are not necessary?  I see things like "depend"
and "depend.bak", both "Makefile" and "Makefile.in" from the same
directory, "configure", "configure.in", "config.guess" and
"config.sub" from the same directory and stuff.  I think you can
delete all but the one that is actually used. :)

 * I'm working in a port of GLUT-2.3 (a 3d toolkit on top of Mesa)
 * and gle-2.1 (another one).

That's great to hear!

 * Any feedback about things not properly/properly done is very welcome.

You don't have to worry about @exec mkdir and stuff in PLIST, they
will be automatically created/deleted by pkg_*.  (Note you need -d to
pkg_delete to let it delete the empty directories.)  DESCR is a little
too long, a couple of paragraphs would be ok.

Other than that, it's an excellent port!

Satoshi