Date:      Sat, 20 May 2000 04:41:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   hardware memory question

This isn't really FBSD-related, but this seems like a good place to ask...

I have a Linux dual P-II 333 that had the following memory config:

  bank 1 - 32M DIMM/100
  bank 2 - 64M DIMM/100
  bank 3 - 64M DIMM/100

Over the last few days, I've started getting tons of sig11's, especially
when X is running.  "Ding ding ding!  Memory's failing!"  Sometimes, the
machine wouldn't even boot completely without being turned off for half an
hour or so to cool down...

Pulled out the 32M from bank 1 and moved the 64M from bank 3->bank 1 - no
SEGV's yet, and it's pretty loaded right now.   (Enlightenment, Gnome,
Gimp, Glade, lots of xterms, several Gnome builtins, and the "watch TV"
program for my video capture card.)

The funny thing is, and my question, is that all of a sudden, things are
running MUCH faster now with 128M than with the 160M before.  (This is an
Intel DK440LX motherboard.)  Is there something about DIMMs that could
cause a major operational slow-down from a progressively-failing DIMM that
doesn't result in any obvious problems like sig11?

--tnx, mike

"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, 'I drank
what?'" -- Chris Knight (Val Kilmer), Real Genius

Mike Nowlin, N8NVW       mike@argos.org       http://www.viewsnet.com