Date:      24 Sep 2000 15:17:43 +0200
From:      Eric Jacoboni <jaco@titine.fr.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is the Gigabyte GA 6VXC7 MB ok for FreeBSD ?

Hi,

I'm planning to buy a new box. The most interesting power/price ratio
i've found so far is build around a Gigabyte GA 6VXC7 4x mainboard. As
i want to use this box with FBSD, i would like to know if the ATA-66
Controller of this card is recognized as such, or if it falls back in 16
MB/sec.

The only infos i get about the chipset say it's a VIA 694x Apollo Pro
(ATA 33/66) and the ata man pages in both Stable and Current pretend
that only VIA 82C586 and 82C686 are supported. Is the 694x a entirely
different chip ? (I've found no mention of the 82C586 and 82C686 chips
in the mainboard documentations).

If someone is using such a card, it would be nice to send me its
advice.

        Thanks,
--
Éric Jacoboni, né il y a 1273165471 secondes.