Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 2001 08:30:19 +1300
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>
To:        Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw fragments and connections to port 0

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 01:01:05PM -0500, Vivek Khera wrote:
> Every so often, I see something like this in my log files from ipfw:
>
> ipfw: -1 Refuse TCP 63.252.242.78:0 204.117.82.12:0 in via fxp0
>
> >From what I understand, this is a connection to port 0, but I'm not
> sure what that means, since port numbers start at 1.  Is this some
> sort of attack or other kind of scan going on?
>
> Also, occasionally I see this:
>
> ipfw: -1 Refuse TCP 24.0.95.136 204.117.82.12 in via fxp0 Fragment = 184

IIRC, this is generated by the rule that discards IP fragments with a
fragment offset of one. From the ipfw(8) manual:

[...]
FINE POINTS
     There is one kind of packet that the firewall will always discard, that
     is an IP fragment with a fragment offset of one.  This is a valid packet,
     but it only has one use, to try to circumvent firewalls.

Hope this helps.
--
Jonathan Chen                      |      To do is to be  -- Nietzsche
<jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>       |      To be is to do  -- Sartre