Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:34:56 +0200
From:      DRHAGER@de.ibm.com
To:        "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: true aliased interface?

For me this looks like Solaris..
I dont know if this is some System V related feature.

In BSD you cant create this sub-interfaces you want.
It is always the same hardware beneath.

Ifconfig offers aliasing, if you want the adapter to listen
on another Ip-adress in addition to the adress you gave it
initially.

"Alias" is some sort of misnomer, I think. You can put a lot
of IP definitons on a Interface, but they are completely equal,
there is no preference between them. You can give a interface
a first adress, then a "alias", remove the first adress treating
it as an alias and then you will have the same interface as if
it would have been configured with this "alias" adress right at
the beginning.

--Orm