Date:      Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:10:25 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jdn@acp.qiv.com (Jay Nelson)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Good News! Commercial Backing For FreeBSD

> >Do you want to see FreeBSD mentions in advertisements for commercial
> >products in print, radio, television, etc. advertising?  Then you
> >need to indemnify the people who are willing to pay for this, to
> >alleviate their risk.
>
> This is the $64,000 question. I don't think the latter follows the
> first.

It's nothing immanent, but we (engineering at Whistle) are being
asked our opinion on some possible marketing pieces and angles.
Julian, Archie, and I are therefore potentially in a postition to
get FreeBSD into some I.B.M. marketing materials, but I would bet
that the window for this is rather more narrow than it currently
appears (i.e. they may not want our opinions for long, once they
make up their mind about "tell us about this whole 'Open Source'
thingy").

It would be nice if we could point the lawyers at something reassuring
so that, were we to try to commit to this type of advocacy, when they
came asking for reassurance, it was already there in what passes for
black and white.

In a general sense, it would be nice to have this ready to go for
anyone who went looking; but IBM employs over 1/10th of one percent
of the population of the United States, and that's a lot of mindshare
going to waste without ready backup for any advocacy we engage in.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.