Date:      Mon, 8 Mar 1999 09:32:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      Colin Eric Johnson <colinj@cs.unm.edu>
To:        "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppc and ppbus break ctrl-alt-del and reboot?

On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Jose M. Alcaide wrote:

> Colin Eric Johnson wrote:
> >
> > I've just in the last couple of days starting playing with the ppc and
> > ppbus controllers in the 3.1-STABLE kernel. While they do seem to be able
> > to sense the parallel port in my machine something else, very strange, has
> > occured. When I attempt to reboot my machine either with ctrl-alt-del or
> > the reboot command all goes well until the actuall reboot of the machine
> > occurs, at which point the entire machine locks up. The file system syncs
> > all seem to happen correctly and the machine is properly halted but will
> > not reboot and nothing short of a complete removal of power will shut the
> > machine off and allow me to restart. I'm doing this on a Dell Lattitude
> > CPi so pulling the power means unplugging it and removing the battery (the
> > power switch won't respond).
> >

> Do you have the same problem when doing a "shutdown -h" (or halt)
> instead of a reboot? A colleague of mine has an IBM Thinkpad which
> locks when halting/rebooting. However, I think that this also happened
> when he was running 2.2.8 on his laptop.

No, in fact I don't a shutdown -h does what it is supposed to do. I
haven't tried rebooting after a shutdown, only powering off so I don't
know but I suspect that the problem is somewhere in how a reboot is
generated on the machine. I'm pretty at the ``grasping at straws'' stage
here.

Colin E. Johnson | colinj@unm.edu | http://www.unm.edu/~colinj/
``Science explains the world, but only Art can reconcile us to it.''
-Stanislaw Lem "King Globare and the Sages"