Date:      Sat, 31 May 1997 12:10:57 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ctm

At 11:07 AM -0500 5/31/97, J Wunsch wrote:

>I once tried to convince Richard into providing a CVSup server (and be
>it only for registered people, exactly for this purpose), but it seems
>he feared the effort.

>  (Well, he probably doesn't know it takes as few as 15 minutes to get it
>up & running... ;-)
That was not my previous experience in upgrading.
Remember that I am rather conservative on machines which are
"mission-critical" (such as supplying CTM feeds). I have not yet switched
from 2.1.x.  Unfortunately, the "developers" and "porters" are interested
in supporting only "-current". As a result, it often takes additional work
to make changes on the older setups. If you will supply the necessary
config files and pointers to appropriate binaries for my configuration,
I'll give it a try. (I still worry about the "abuse" issue, but that is
another topic)

>The worst part of this game is switching from CTM to CVSup, btw.  The
>CTM delta format doesn't provide for a timestamp field, but CVSup
>primarily relies on the timestamp.

> I've once contemplated to extend the CTM delta format, but never got to
>implement it.
Poul and I once discussed this. There is a slight conflict in the desired
behaviour depending on whether you are moving CVS files or plain source
files. There is the additional problem that the multiple CVSup feeds are
not consistent within themselves. As a result, it is most difficult for CTM
to match all of them.
I'm certainly willing to discuss the subject.