Date:      Sun, 4 Mar 2001 22:32:25 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Trevin Chow <trevin@mail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System crashing for unknown reason

Trevin Chow <trevin@mail.com> types:
> At 08:08 PM 3/4/2001 -0600, you wrote:
> >Make sure that you've got /var/crash set up so that savecore will ave
> >core dumps. See the savecore man page for details.
> I've looked at the man page, but am still a little shady on how to use
> "savecore".  How do I execute it if I don't know when/how my kernel crashes?

If you've got dumpdev set in /etc/rc.conf, the /etc/rc will use
dumpon(8) to tell the OS to save a core image to that device when it
panics, and will call savecore to check for such a dump and save it to
/var/crash during the automatic reboot after the panic. You can set it
in /etc/rc.conf and do the dumpon command by hand, and the next crash
should leave you a core image in /var/crash.

	<mike