Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 1997 21:52:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Make World Explodes

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Simon Shapiro wrote:

> >   Is there is any chance your source tree is damaged?  Try removing the
> > files in /usr/sup, and re-running cvsup.  cvsup will then check every
> > file, rather than rely on the database in /usr/sup.
>
> DON'T TELL ME THAT :-(  I do not mind re-creating the checked out version
> but re-doing cvsup is a long, painful process.

  Errr... it isn't that bad.  It isn't like you are removing every file in
/usr/src or anything.  It forces the client to check checksums for all
files that you have with the server (actually they are probably md5
digests).  It only re-transfers the files that are known to different.  I
did this on a 486, and it only added a half hour or so to cvsup.  No big
deal, but it did find some files that were old, but cvsup wasn't
trasnfering because the /usr/sup database said they were up to date.
Crashes during a cvsup can cause this problem.

> reading and writing to disk.  Performance with RAID-5 is a constant
> 8.9MB/Sec writing/reading mix.  RAID-0 is closer to 18-20MB/Sec.

  8.9MB/s for RAID-5?  Is this is a controller limitation or a drive
limitation?  Could the controller do better with faster drives, or more
channels and drives to spread io over?

> The only other problem is that if you use reboot instead of shutdown (or
> maybe shutdown itself), the kernel does not wait for the ``ALLOW MEDIA
> REMOVAL'' to complete before resetting the CPU.  DPT uses this SCSI command
> to flush and invalidate the caches.  Not waiting for it to finish can leave
> ``few'' buffers unwritten.  ``Few'' can equal 64MB, which is unpeasant.
> It takes about 21-28.5 seconds to flush the caches written by newfs on a
> 4096MB file system.

  Not nice.

> Simon

Tom