Date:      Wed, 4 Jun 1997 00:08:05 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Minor linux_emul update

As Michael Smith wrote:

> > Why pirate?  Somehow, you must generate the number, one way or the
> > other.  You know it...  I've got no ethernet at all, so what's the
> > returned number?
>
> It's empty, and you require a different license type.

Why a different license type?

An ethernet address is about as ``secure'' as any other arbitrarily
invented number.  I can forge an ethernet address as well on almost
any modern ethernet card, the times when they have been set in stone
by a GAL or other hardware have long since gone anyway.  They are
stored in EEPROMs these days (so it at worst requires a soldering
iron).

I think it should be invented at the first use, and stored in some
configuration file then.  Even Slowarlis (x86) does it this way.  The
(Un-)FlexLM suits seem to can live with this.

--
cheers, J"org