Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 1996 14:38:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Terry Eck <eck@sc10.dseg.ti.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org, eck@sc10.dseg.ti.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Install but will not boot!

On Tue, 2 Apr 1996, Terry Eck wrote:

> I've installed FreeBSD v2.1 via the Walnut Creek cdrom. The target disk
> was the 2nd hard drive. I selected the entire disk for install. I choose
> not to install any boot manager since I use OS/2's bootmanager to boot
> DOS, OS/2, Linux and hopefully BSD.

Ok.  I have a similar install here and this works great.

> After install the machine rebooted and locked up with a 2 line message
> on the screen in very large letters. Next I booted OS/2 from floppy and
> reinstalled the bootmanager (somehow the BSD install defined the boot
> partition as non-startable).

That happened to me too; I think you have to watch out on the fdisk
portion of sysinstall and make sure it doesn't change the active flag.

> Rebooting I selected the partition with FreeBSD and got the Boot: prompt.
> Since I need to specify the port address I entered -c<CR> and the computer
> started with a single | character instead of the series |/-\|/-\ and the
> computer halted. I had to do a hard reboot.

Something here is screaming "geometry", but I'm not sure what :)  Did you
key in the proper geometry in fdisk?  You might try making a small DOS
partition on that disk, then install FreeBSD, deleting that partition and
then using the whole disk.

> I've tried to provide parameters for the boot sector when booting from the
> floppy but I'm not sure about hard drive notation. I think I used various
> combinations of wd1a/kernel at the boot prompt.

The proper notation for this disk is

wd(1,a)/kernel

Take a look at the geometry on the disk and make sure FreeBSD agrees with
you.