Date:      Sun, 06 Jul 1997 03:36:17 +0200
From:      Kent Boortz <kent@erlang.ericsson.se>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        kent@erlang.ericsson.se
Subject:   Application os version compatibility?

I know some just link "libc.2.2" to "libc.3.0" to get *some*
applications working that was built for another os version than
the one running but there must be a better way to create
applications that will survive over os version?

A reasonable rule would be that

    - If changing the third version number applications with
      shared libraries will still work.

    - If changing the second number staticly linked will still work.

    - If changing the first number we may have to recompile the
      whole thing and do a new release.

Is there an official rule similar to this in FreeBSD?

If the application in question was distributed with full source
this wouldn't be a big problem but unfortunately it isn't.

Please include my email address in the "To" or "Cc" field because
I'm not on the "freebsd-hackers" list.

Thank you in advance,

/kgb