Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 20:06:32 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        Oscar Bonilla <obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kzip bombs

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Oscar Bonilla wrote:

> any idea why on a 3.1 system kzip bombs while trying to compress /boot/loader?
> it just says
> # kzip -v loader
> real kernel start address will be: 0x100000
> real kernel end   address will be: 0x11f000
> ld: /usr/lib/aout/kzhead.o: No such file or directory
> kzip: ld returned 100
>
> of course kzhead.o is not in /usr/lib/aout

Yep, you need to explicitely make it.
cd /sys/i386/kzipboot && make all install

> one more thing: why aout? i tought the kernel was supposed to be elf now...
> (or is it because of compatibility with older systems?)

Kernel is ELF. All userland is ELF. But /boot/loader is a special beast -
for some reasons that I don't quite understand it's an ELF binary packaged
into an a.out envelope, so it's really really weird...

Andrzej Bialecki

 <abial@nask.pl>       ||PicoBSD||   FreeBSD in your pocket? Go and see:
 Research & Academic   |+-------+|       "Small & Embedded FreeBSD"
 Network in Poland     | |TT~~~| |    http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/