Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 1998 03:03:53 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Luigi's 'cdda' patches for 3.0-CURRENT...

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> > 	Right now, I'm trying to use cdda for pulling the tracks, which
> > appears to do a nice job of it, but somewhere along the way, I suspect
> > that my files aren't coming out right.
>
> > 	I do:
> >
> > 	cdda <track> > <file>
>
> At this point
>
>     pcmio +play,44100,s16,stereo <file>

	Nope, all I get is the "static"...

> the second thing is that most ATAPI drives need jitter compensation and
> i am not sure cdda does it (i mentioned this program erroneously, it is
> probably cdd which you should look for, and patch to use this atapi
> code).

	What exactly is 'jitter compensation'?  The way it sounds, I
should get some sort of 'music' out of the file, but with
'skips'...instead of pure static?

	Using pcmio on the file that cdda produces is 'staticy'...so I'm
not even going to look at sox/mpeg_musicin at this point...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org