Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 22:14:52 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: comments on X dependency patch?

On Wed, Jul 29, 1998 at 08:54:26AM -0700, Satoshi Asami wrote:
>  * I say go for it.  Not only will this help prevent needless
>  * USE_X11s, but it will also make Sue Blake happy.  :)
>
> Well, I hope I made myself clear, I intend to replace USE_X11 with

I think you made yourself clear.  At least, what you said jived with
what the patch said.  :-)

I meant that this should hopefully save us from tcl/tk ports, etc.
sticking in USE_X11 just because they "well, use X11" and then ending
up in X_PREFIX needlessly.

> Make sure /var/db/pkg/XFree86-3.3.2 is populated when XFree86
> libraries are installed from the X distribution as part of sysinstall,
> not a port.  Otherwise package users will see a warning that the
                                                  ^^^^^^^
I think there is a PR submitted that will turn this into an error,
which is what it looks like it was intended to be (from the code), and
which it is (supposedly) documented to be.

>  * > +.elif defined(NO_CONFIGURE)
>  * > +IGNORE=	"defines NO_CONFIGURE, which is obsoleted"
>  * > +.elif defined(NO_PATCH)
>  * > +IGNORE=	"defines NO_PATCH, which is obsoleted"
>
> It's just that new ones keep coming in.  There isn't any NO_CONFIGURE
> or NO_PATCH in the ports tree so this patch won't break any existing
> port.  It will prevent new ones from being submitted.

Let's strike a deal.  ;-)

I'll make no further complaints about this, on the condition that you
in exchange remove the following 5 lines:

# The following 4 lines should go away as soon as the ports are all updated
.if defined(EXEC_DEPENDS)
BUILD_DEPENDS+= ${EXEC_DEPENDS}
RUN_DEPENDS+=   ${EXEC_DEPENDS}
.endif

They start on line #359 in my copy of bsd.port.mk, but my copy is a
little hacked-up with some ideas I was playing with, so the line#
might be different in the current bsd.port.mk.

Sounds like a pretty good exchange, IMHO.  If I were you, I'd go for
it in a second!  ;-)

--
This .sig is not innovative, witty, or profund.