Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 1997 01:07:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dmitry Kohmanyuk <dk@dog.farm.org>
To:        sef@Kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: r-cmds and DNS and /etc/host.conf

In article <199709250239.TAA06463@kithrup.com> you wrote:
> In article <199709241008.DAA06292.kithrup.freebsd.hackers@dog.farm.org> you write:
> >the lookups occur only if .rhosts is present.  So, it's in
> >/usr/src/lib/libc/net/rcmd.c:iruserok() or deeper (_not_ ruserok() -
> >this one tests by IP address).

> Okay, I tried this here, as well:

> 	garth:
> 		running 2.2-GAMMA
> 		No local nameserver
> 		/etc/hosts has LAN hosts, and localhost, and nothing else
> 		/etc/host.conf has "hosts" followed by "bind"
> 		/etc/hosts.equiv has "#kithrup.com"
> 		~sef/.rhosts has "kithrup.com" and "kithrup"
> 		/etc/resolv.conf has "domain kithrup.com", and my ISP as
> 			nameservers
		so DNS traffic should fo to your ISP...

> I started up two tcpdump's on garth (one for lo0, and one for "host garth
> and not port login and not port klogin" on de0).

> Then, from kithrup, I did:

> 	rlogin -KL8 garth

> No traffic from either tcpdump.

the traffic should go to your nameserver - so,
please run tcpdump one the interface to your ISP  (and have your link
up, of course!), like ppp0 or tun0...

> I verified that iruserok() is the same for -current and garth's version.

I think that that code (both rlogin and resolv) hasn't been really
touched for at least a year...

--
 To err is human; but to completely screw things up you have to be root.
					    - Andrew.V.Kovalev@jet.msk.su