Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2002 12:20:25 -0500
From:      "Jud " <jud@operamail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PPP - Term Shows Nonsensical Response

This past weekend, I installed FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE from
the FreeBSDMall CD set on a new RAID-0 array.  FreeBSD
has one half of the array, and Windows 2000 has the
other.  Before installing the new RAID array, I had been
running 4.5-RELEASE, then 4.5-STABLE on another hard
drive (now devoted to Windows 98 and QNX) without
problems.

Since installing 4.5-RELEASE on the RAID array, I haven't
been able to get ppp to work.  Running in interactive
mode, when I enter atdt[ISP PHONE#], what appears is
CONNECT 26400/ARQ (it's a slow dialup - rural phone
lines:), followed on the next line by a few characters of
gibberish.  Then it just hangs - nothing appears on the
display when I try to type in my username and password.
Finally, the connection drops.

I also tried auto ppp, using the IP addresses of my ISP's
nameservers in an /etc/resolv.conf file I created.  I then
fired up Lynx.  The modem dialed out and connected, but
again, nothing more happened until Lynx gave me an "Unable
to connect..." message and the connection dropped.

I'm using a US Robotics 5686D external serial modem.  No
problems connecting from Windows 2000 on the same array.

Solutions, anyone?

TIA,

Jud