Date:      Sun, 8 Jul 2001 15:52:51 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        David Lloyd <lloy0076@rebel.net.au>
Cc:        James Howard <howardjp@Glue.umd.edu>, Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Jonathan Slivko <js43064n@pace.edu>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Opposing" the "competition" (was: FreeBSD spokesman (was: Sowhat happens to FreeBSD now?))

On Friday,  6 July 2001 at 11:16:03 +0930, David Lloyd wrote:
> James Howard said:
>
>> No.  I first came to FreeBSD when I wanted to learn some programming
>> stuff.  Ever try to read GNU code?  It is painful.
>
> Hang on a moment. The fact the code is bad has nothing to do with the
> GPL or GNU. Give me some money and I'll spend an hour writing bad code
> under a Microsoft EULA, the BSD Licence, the Artistic Licence...I'm sure
> you get my drift.

Agreed.  I've read both good and bad GNU and BSD code.  The fact that
people compare them indicates that they're part of the same cultural
space.

>> I learned to write socket code from FreeBSD's finger
>> implementation.  And of course, supreme simplicity of the ports
>> system is beautiful.  There is no match anywhere else.
>
> wget -c blah
> ./configure blah
> make
> make install

As James says, there's nothing to match the Ports Collection:

 cd /usr/ports/foo/blah
 make install

> Whilst, admittedly, one needs to use one's brain under Linux to make
> sure you get the right "blah",

You don't need that in the Ports Collection.

> the rest doesn't seem that much more difficult than the Ports
> collection. And what's wrong with apt-get under Debian...

I don't know where to start.  It's so completely confusing that I give
up.

That's not the point, though.  Some things are better in BSD, other
things are better in Linux.  For most people, they're pretty much the
same.  It's just us techheads who fight about minor differences.

Greg