Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 22:46:46 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dyson@iquest.net
Cc:        toasty@home.dragondata.com, mike@smith.net.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vm_page_zero_fill

> > Perhaps a change that would allow for malloc()'ed and new'ed memory to be
> > able to take memory from the to-be-zero'ed list would be better, although
> > that may be more work than I'm looking for....
>
> That *might* be reasonable.  A special sbrk or somesuch.  That sbrk
> would make a non-prezeroed map entry.  vm_fault would just avoid
> doing the zero.

Expecting sbrk'ed pages to be zero filled is just *wrong*.

Sorry, but there is a *reason* that there are seperate malloc(3)
and calloc(3) routines.  The former is seperate from the latter
because uncleared pages are supposed to occur faster, and because
there was an expectation that the malloc(3) could return space
already allocated to the process.  Indeed, the ANSI C specification
practically *prohibits* breaking memory back to the system, since
it *requires* that a free'd region of a given size be re-malloc'able
without a check of the malloc return code (though it doesn't
guarantee contents).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---