Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 02:07:37 GMT
From:      gfm@mira.net (Graham Menhennitt)
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0-CURRENT: Adaptec 1540 not detected (with workaround)

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998 16:31:23 -0700 (MST), John Reynolds~
<jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com> wrote:

>> I have just upgraded by 2.2-STABLE machine to 3.0-CURRENT. It couldn't boot
>> either kernel.GENERIC or the custom kernel that I built. It said that it
>> didn't detect my Adaptec 1540 (and then paniced with "cannot mount root").
>> I even specified the exact port address, IRQ and DRQ in userconfig. Still
>> no go. It used to work fine with 2.2 and was correctly detected by the
>> kernel on the 3.0 boot floppy.
>>
>> Eventually I found the problem. In /usr/src/sys/dev/aha/aha.c there is some
>> code that attempts to distinguish between Adaptec and Buslogic adaptors.
>> This was failing. I'm not sure what model my adaptor is (I think it's an
>> 'A') but it is a genuine Adaptec. Hence the comment in the code about
>> cloned cards may apply to some genuine ones also.
>
>COOL! So there *was* a problem after all! I saw the exact same things
>happening to my 1542C (not even using the exact IRQ and DRQ values in
>userconfig helped). Sounds like this was a real problem. Is somebody going
>to commit the changes that gfm@mira.net (Graham Menhennitt) provided? If so,

No, definitely don't commit my patch. All it does is remove the test. It
was simply given as a workaround - not a fix!! It will probably break as
many machines as it fixes.

I'll do a bit more investigaing and try to come up with something a bit
more robust.

>will another "official" 3.0 boot floppy be rolled with this change? I ask
>only because I don't know if using a SNAP or CURRENT boot.flp with the 3.0
>CD-ROMs (whenever they get to my door) would be a Bad Thing(tm) or
>not. Probably not? Right now, the 3.0-RELEASE boot.flp will not pick up
>Adaptec 154x cards at all.

Strange, the 3.0-RELEASE boot.flp _did_ work for me. It was just the
kernel.GENERIC from the bin tarball and my custom kernel that failed.

Graham