Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2001 05:05:31 -0500
From:      Chris Costello <chris@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG, www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Branching www/ for XML development

On Thursday, September 20, 2001, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> What do you hope to gain with XML/XSLT?  I'm asking this out of
> ignorance, not skepticism.  Is it going to make it easier to manage
> changes, or give us better organization, or a more consistent look 'n'
> feel, or...???...

   Well, we can use XSLT to help get all of those things.
Instead of marking up each page as an HTML file, we'll probably
have an XML layout something like:

<page role="front-page">
  <title>The FreeBSD Project</title>

  <section role="alert">
    <title>Telnet Advisory</title>

  </section>

  <section>
    <title>What is FreeBSD?</title>

  </section>
</page>

   and then, based on the `role' attribute of <page>, different
side-bar configurations may be used, and all of the sidebar stuff
moves out of the individual pages and into the global XSL
stylesheet.  Basically, each `page' contains only content, and
the separate XSL stylesheet will add in all the extra Web page
stuff.