Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 1997 18:37:49 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@korin.warman.org.pl>
To:        David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Who enforces the `limits` ? (Or: The Forkin' Monster)

On Wed, 30 Apr 1997, David Nugent wrote:

> > It was Friday afternoon, and I was rather bored. So I wrote the following
> > program:
>
> Which kernel? I'll assume 2.2...

No, here's what I'm running now:

FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT #0: Mon Apr 28 19:24:28 CEST 1997
    root@hortensja.nask.waw.pl:/usr/src/sys/compile/SMP
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor motherboard
 cpu0 (BSP): apic id: 0, version: 0x00030010
 cpu1 (AP):  apic id: 1, version: 0x00030010
 io0 (APIC): apic id: 2, version: 0x00170011
CPU: Pentium (586-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x52c  Stepping=12
  Features=0x3bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,APIC>

> One suggestion is to add some ulimits/limits calls into /etc/profile
> and /etc/csh.login and lower the default hard limits.

Yes, it's a good idea. Perhaps it should be there by default...?

> 3.0-current contains support for /etc/login.conf, where resource limits
> can be set for classes of users. Unfortunately, this is not in 2.2
> (well.. yet - I'd certainly consider it stable enough for inclusion
> and I'm willing to bring it all into the RELENG_2_2 branch if there
> is demand).

I'd be glad to see it. Some time ago I considered adding support for
SecurID token authentication, and people kept saying that /etc/login.conf
is pretty much dead, so I'd better wait for PAM ...

Sincerely yours,

---
Andrzej Bialecki                  FreeBSD: Turning PCs Into Workstations
<abial@warman.org.pl>             http://www.freebsd.org
Research and Academic Network in Poland