Date:      Tue, 07 Sep 1999 17:46:13 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Jeremy McMillan <aphor@228-121.ppp.ripco.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org

Fcc: sent
Subject: Re: newly introduced repeatable SMP hang in STABLE/3.3-RC
--------
> Could this be that one kernel thread is wedged in a state where it has a
> lock on a resource, but it can still do low level functions like handle
> ICMP? Maybe the other thread hung, and thus cannot release the lock on
> whatever resource the working (ICMP reachable kernel thread) needs to
> resume process managment services? What kernel resource do threads take
> turns locking?

A 'wedged' host that is pingable is locked in the kernel for some
reason, but without at least some interrupts masked.  ICMP echo replies
are generated in interrupt context.

If the machine is pingable but you can't get to DDB, chances are that
you're in some code running at spltty, which may be code related to
serial I/O, console output, or printer I/O.  In particular, turning off
an attached printer can cause this.  (I don't think this is the
plaintiff's problem though.)

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org