Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 1998 03:07:37 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        dg@root.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hollywood (Re: PATCH.M )

On Thu, Feb 12, 1998 at 01:39:19AM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > >When FreeBSD boots, it uses my init_main.c.  SYSINIT was *my* baby,
> > >as is the kernel process starting code used by updated (now syncd),
> > >etc..
> >
> >    Yes, and I recall that SYSINIT was broken and took some frobbing by
> > Julian to get it to work. I might also mention that some people, myself
> > included, aren't entirely satisfied with the direction that SYSINIT has
> > taken us.
>
> FWIW, neither am I.  The intent was to make it so that you could
> decide to include a kernel component by linking it or not linking
> it.  Unfortunately, people have continued futzing around with the
> config program and puting opt_this.h and opt_that.h everywhere,
> instead of getting rid of conditional compilation in favor of
> conditional linking, and from there to conditional agregation
> of seperate object sections (using ELF).  In my ideal world,
> there is no "config".

I'm planning to do a option-walk-through and change the options that
can easily be changed to sysctl's.  This will at least get rid of some
of them.  If you want to get rid of config, mailing me patches that
remove one and one option is a good way to get closer to that goal ;-)

I promise to commit any such patch within 48h unless I'm absent or
have a deadline just that day.  Restriction: The patch must be correct
as far as I can verify, and must not look like an option that could
easily just be removed instead, and the SYSCTL fields must include a
filled-out description.  And as stated above: Each patch should remove
_one_ option.

Eivind, who realize that this is drudge work, but it still needs doing.