Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 2019 12:56:20 +0100
From:      Tomasz CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info>
To:        =?UTF-8?Q?Morgan_Wesstr=C3=B6m?= <freebsd-database@pp.dyndns.biz>
Subject:   Re: Root volume renumbered unexpectedly, no longer boots

On Sat, Dec 14, 2019 at 11:05 AM Morgan Wesstr=C3=B6m  wrote:
> > 48 disks, actually. :)   Half of those are on an external JBOD connecte=
> > via an LSI FC controller.  This server is significantly older than my
> > association with it, so I'm uncertain about how the internal 24 drives =
are
> > connected.  If it helps, dmesg only reports ses0 and ses1 drivers.  The
> > boot disk and the first 24 ZFS drives are all on ses0.  I think that
> > implies only two controllers in use, not three.
> >

> Yeah, I see now that your mainboard has a SAS controller in addition to
> the Intel ICH10 controller. That BIOS setting I suggested would only
> affect disks attached to the Intel controller. The SAS controller should
> have it's own option BIOS settings, available through some key combo
> during boot. I have no experience with these controllers though so I
> couldn't tell if something in their settings suddenly made them report
> disks in a different order. Hopefully someone who knows how they work
> will read this and help you.

I though that too. Also the first boot disk seems attached to that controll=
er.

It depends on how the disks were replaced. One by one or all of them at onc=
e?

It would be best to go to RAID/SAS BIOS and see settings there.

Disk order should not change. Usually RAID BIOS will show warnings
about missing disks or RAID state change but it should keep the disk
order. Except when all disks are set to create one large RAID array.
Then controller decides on how to restore the data on the disks. Also
this takes some time until array is can get back to full operations.

On a HP ProLiant server I also had to boot special CD with RAID
utility to set up this controller in a way that was not possible from
RAID BIOS screen.

Anyways with this kind of play it is always best to create a backup in
the first place.

Good luck! :-)

--=20