Date:      Thu, 02 Oct 1997 21:59:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Make depend is broken? Still??

Hi Mike Smith;  On 03-Oct-97 you wrote:
> > Hi Y'all,
> >
> > I may dare say there is a possibility of a bug in the -current main
> > makefile;
>
>  It's not there.  The problem is that the initial depend pass for 'make'
>  puts the .depend file in the source directory :
>
>  kingsford:/work/src/usr.bin/make>ls -la .depend
>  -rw-r--r--  1 root  users  35208 Oct  2 15:24 .depend
>
>  Here I'm worlding as root and thus can write it OK; I suspect your
>  problem is that you aren't, and thus can't.

Wrong guess :-)  I am running it as root.  The mistake was explained to me
(it was mine).  As long as the problem is recognizable and the solution
workable, I am a happy man.  It is and I am.

Thanx!

---

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro                                                 Atlas Telecom
Senior Architect         14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 130 Beaverton OR 97005
Shimon@i-Connect.Net                                  Voice:   503.799.2313