Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 2002 09:28:06 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew <andrew@ugh.net.au>
To:        Mark Hennessy <mark@cloud9.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Password Authentication question

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Mark Hennessy wrote:

> running its threads as is of course NOT root.  I have tried getpwnam and
> getpwuid in Perl, and the results returned for the password is "*" and not
> the crypted password.

That's because of the not root bit. You can probably either use an
external utility to do you authentication or maintain 2 password
databases.

As far as external utilities there are things in ports (like
pwcheck I think) or you can, as someone already suggested, do it over the
network and speak to something like a pop server or poppwd or some other
simple service.

As far as maintaining 2 databases you can synchronise either when you push
your NIS maps or just every X time period via cron. Make sure the new
database is accesible to the web server.

Andrew