Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 1998 20:34:10 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports authors please read, some fix required

On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, John Polstra wrote:

> > Ports from following list have wrong ***/---/+++ lines not
> > indicating full path, which is incompatible with _any_ version of
> > GNU patch except "hacked" FreeBSD variant.
>
> The patches were written exclusively for the FreeBSD ports system,
> which used the FreeBSD version of patch, which had certain documented
> behavior.  We are FreeBSD, not GNU.  Many of our utilities are
> different from the GNU versions.  It is perfectly reasonable to rely
> on that.  Otherwise, we might as well just merge with Linux.

The type of this 'difference' is the question. If this difference is
an addition or extension which not interfere with GNU meaning, it
is FreeBSD right to do that. We should avoid another type of differences
which work just opposite GNU meaning simple for compatibility with the
rest of the world.

Lets apply this paragraph to our particular case with patch. We must
either call "fixed" patch differently, f.e. /usr/bin/freebsd_patch or add
an option (extension) to the patch, f.e. --index-first, which turn on
behaviour needed by FreeBSD, but _not_ change pre-existen behaviour.

> >   	modula-3-socks
> > 	virtualpager
>
> Please fix these two yourself.  As you say, it should be easy.  I

Ok, I'll fix them in nearest time.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@nietzsche.net>