Date:      Sun, 3 Jan 1999 08:07:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        asmodai@wxs.nl, mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bootblocks / Bootloader

> > Oh btw, make world also installs bootstraps and such, does it leave the new
> > bootblocks alone or do I have to add a flag to my make worlds ?
>
> The world build installs a new loader, but it does not replace the
> bootblocks.  You have to do that by hand (disklabel -B).

I think R. Nordier mentioned in another Email that you don't have
the new boot blocks installed.  I thought I had them installed
also, but "disklabel -B {da0|wd0}" alone won't do it, as it will
install the default boot blocks from /usr/mdec (I assume that at
some point disklabel will be changed?).

Here's what worked for me:

  disklabel -B -b /boot/boot1 -s /boot/boot2 /dev/da0s3c

where FreeBSD exists on my third partition.  I'm not sure
if disklabel is smart enough to work with "da0" as the
disk in this case.

BTW, a make aout-to-elf-install works with CVS checked
out from date "December 18, 1998".

Dan Eischen
eischen@pcnet.com