Date:      19 Oct 2001 07:46:44 +0500
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@masto.com>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>, Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>, Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc group master.passwd

On Thu, 2001-10-18 at 15:20, David O'Brien wrote:
> Those people probably do not mergemaster their master.passwd.  Thus
> adding www==80 to the stock sources does not really create a problem for
> existing systems (you are now probably going to mention YP).  Web server
> ports can check for the existence of a `www' user and add it if not
> there -- again not causing a problem for existing installations.  Over
> time the stock user `www' will be in use everywhere and this will be a
> non-issue.

This is what I don't understand.  If the port is going to check for the
missing user and create it, why put it in the base system?  Basically,
the existing mechanism means that everyone who wants Apache gets the www
user - for some reason, you want to extend this to include also people
who don't want Apache.  It doesn't make any sense to me.  If the port
has the facility to create it on the fly, that sounds like a much better
solution.  It also extends to all ports that need special users.
Certainly putting such things as mysql and pgsql in the base system's
master.passwd would be unacceptable to most people.

P.S. I maintain a lot of FreeBSD web servers, and I create an "apache"
user/group when I set them up.  I also don't use the port, so to me this
extra thing in the passwd file is a waste.
--
"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say, What
should be the reward of such sacrifices? ... If ye love wealth better

CB461C61 8AFC E3A8 7CE5 9023 B35D  C26A D849 1F6E CB46 1C61