Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 18:05:48 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Sean Noonan <snoonan@cx952600-a.fed1.sdca.home.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't boot

On Fri, 07 Apr 2000 17:17:43 MST, Sean Noonan wrote:

> I botched my upgrade to 4.0-STABLE by not changing 'wd' entries to 'ad'
> entries in /etc/fstab.  Now I can't seem to recover.

Oops.

If you don't actually have the ad* device nodes, you're in for some
pain.  I think you're going to have to boot off floppy and use the
fixit floppy, mount your root partition and create the appropriate
/mnt_point/dev/ad* device nodes with MAKEDEV.

Don't forget that MAKEDEV doesn't make slices (e.g. ad0s1a)
automatically, so make sure you've got everything you need before trying
to reboot.

Of course, if you have all the device nodes, then it's just a simple case of
editing /etc/fstab once you've loaded the fixit floppy and mounted your
root partition writable.

Ciao,
Sheldon.