Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 14:22:44 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Michael DeMutis <mike@2gen.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PERC2 RAID support in 4.1-STABLE

At 2:15 AM -0400 2000/10/3, Michael DeMutis wrote:

>  How is the Dell PERC2 RAID support in 4.1-STABLE?
>
>  I have a server being delivered in a week and it's running a 2 disk array.
>
>  Is this going to be a nightmare to setup?
>
>  I'll be installing 4.x from scratch, and I'd like full LVL 5 RAID support.
>  The machine has to boot from the RAID device.  Is there a process I should
>  follow for installation?

	My understanding of the RAID-5 algorithm is that it requires a
minimum of three drives to operate (two for data, the third for
parity).  Otherwise, you might as well just use RAID-1, a.k.a.
mirroring (one data, one parity).

	I don't know how the PERC2 card functions in this situation, but
I'd be willing to guess that they do the same.

Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                || Belgacom Skynet SA/NV
Systems Architect, Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin || Rue Colonel Bourg, 124
Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.13.11/12.49             || B-1140 Brussels
http://www.skynet.be                         || Belgium