Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2000 20:39:35 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Subject:   Re: Like to commit my diskprep

In message <XFMail.001031113118.jhb@FreeBSD.org>, John Baldwin writes:

>> My only request is that you disallow the bogus
>>
>>       diskprep ad0
>>
>> syntax and require people to enter a full and decent path:
>>
>>       diskprep /dev/ad0
>
>Why?  Both fdisk(8) and disklabel(8) don't require the full path.
>Requiring it for diskprep would violate POLA IMO.

For that to be consistent we would need to allow for example:

	mount ad0s1a /mnt

That would be bogus.

In unix we refer to devices by pathname, we should stick to that.

The magic "Hmm, I'll try sticking /dev in front" DWIM code is
bad IMO.

I don't want us to propagte that mistake.  disks don't have their
own private namespace, neither do tapes or ttys.