Date:      Sun, 27 Apr 1997 12:13:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kevin Eliuk <cagey@kevin.sunshine.net>
To:        Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>, Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us>, Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Subject:   Re: "learn" unix tool

On Sun, 27 Apr 1997, Mikael Karpberg wrote:

Thanks Mikael for the input I really need it to get some direction on
this.

Welcome Chris.

> Just a suggestion: Don't make a newbie tool that is written with the head
> of a unix guru. We "gurus" are a bit strange. ;-) You need to get ahold of
> some real "Dummies" and make them use your tool, and ask you stupid things
> which will help you improve it, clearify hard to understand bits, etc.

Corrction: Not strange, eccentric -- has a much nicer ring.

Dummy, that's me |:-Q  I've only been using FreeBSD since Dec/96 (constantly
if you were to talk to my life partner) and it's the first Unix ever for
me.

> Also, while you're at it, trying to make unix more aprochable for new
> users... Don't miss the basic things:
>
> You make a learn tool. No newbie will ever find it. :-)
> Make sure it ends up in /usr/bin, which will always be in a new users path.
> Create a small shell skript which goes something like this, and is called
> /usr/bin/help:
>
> ------
> #/bin/sh
>
> echo "Need help with understanding how a UNIX-like operating system like"
> echo "FreeBSD is used? Try typing 'unixlearn' now, to get a tutorial in how"
> echo "to use it."
> echo " "
> echo "If you are looking for help with some command, and wants to know what"
> echo "options it can take, etc, then that command is called 'man', which is"
> echo "an abbreviation of 'manual'. To find out how to use 'man', either use"
> echo "the tutorial in 'unixlearn' or try 'man man', which will give you the"
> echo "manual on 'man'."
> -------
>
> What do you think? The first thing that comes in to a confused newbies head
> is not "learn". It's "help"! :-)

Excellent choice actually :: It was (sigh) one of the things I typed in
upon logging in root. I gather that to many conflicts could arise with
just help as a command. Could it be considered  as a menu item in
sysinstall (Although this is down the road a bit), perhaps post-install
menu. I realize and !appreciate! size restraint of 5MB.

I see in the header file that:

   "This is probably the last attempt in the `sysinstall' line, the next
	generation being slated to essentially a complete rewrite."

> Just giving some input. I'm affraid I wont be much help with doing any of
> this, but I'd be willing to at least look at a "finished" unixlearn, when
> you have some very basic thing, to give suggestions on the user interface,
> or so. Very nice effort, which is really needed, however. Great going! :-)
>
>   /Mikael

				|  \    kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net     /  |
  				|    \	     Kevin G. Eliuk        /    |