Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 2004 12:11:03 -0400
From:      Steve Tremblett <sjt@cisco.com>
To:        Jan Muenther <jan.muenther@nruns.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Devil Mascot

> >     You may think that is a small issue, but when you are trying to create
> > market awareness you need a mascot that evokes simplicity and goodwill, not
> > one that evokes evil and deception.

For the original inspiration, look up Maxwell's daemon on google.  In
the 19th century, Maxwell used the "daemon" entity to represent
thermodynamic forces acting between molecules.  I first heard of it in a
chemistry textbook where a fairy character was used as a "tour guide"
for atoms/molecules.

And if the cartoon picture of the BSD daemon is enough to give you the
willies, it is beyond the scope of freebsd-questions to help you ;)

lazybones