Date:      Sat, 31 May 1997 20:04:07 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Cc:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Subject:   Re: ctm

As Richard Wackerbarth wrote:

> >I once tried to convince Richard into providing a CVSup server (and be
> >it only for registered people, exactly for this purpose), but it seems
> >he feared the effort.
>
> >  (Well, he probably doesn't know it takes as few as 15 minutes to get it
> >up & running... ;-)

> That was not my previous experience in upgrading.

I didn't tell anything about upgrading -- only about installing a
cvsupd.  Both are two very different pairs of shoes.  cvsupd is
available as a statically-linked binary, even the {Net,Open}BSD folks
reported that they can run the CVSup binaries (although the clients in
this case).

> > I've once contemplated to extend the CTM delta format, but never got to
> >implement it.

> Poul and I once discussed this. There is a slight conflict in the desired
> behaviour depending on whether you are moving CVS files or plain source
> files. There is the additional problem that the multiple CVSup feeds are
> not consistent within themselves. As a result, it is most difficult for CTM
> to match all of them.

Huh?  Since CVSup touches the files to the correct timestamp, how can
the CVSup servers differ?  (If the timestamps don't match, it falls
back to compare the files.)

Of course, i only talk about CVS files here.  I have no idea for the
checked out trees.

--
cheers, J"org