Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2013 09:32:58 +0100
From:      Borja Marcos <borjam@sarenet.es>
To:        Jean-Yves Moulin <jym@baaz.fr>
Cc:        FreeBSD Filesystems <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
Subject:   Re: RFC: Suggesting ZFS "best practices" in FreeBSD

On Jan 23, 2013, at 4:16 PM, Jean-Yves Moulin wrote:

> But what about battery-backed cache RAID card ? They offer a =
non-volatile cache that improves writes. And this cache is safe because =
of the battery. These feature doesn't exist on bare disks.

They can be "fine" for certain applications, especially with limited =
ability filesystems. But we are speaking about using maybe the latest =
and greatest
in filesystem technology, with a superior mechanism to manage redundancy =
and I/O bandwidth. Using another redundancy mechanism underneath can
make matters worse, with one system working against the other.

ZFS  manages it better. ZFS allows you to decide if you need to cache =
metadata and/or data or none of them. RAID cards can show stupid caching =
behaviors depending on your workload.

So, RAID card with ZFS, definitely a no-no. As Scott said, more failure =
modes. And some of them, complex. Many trivial operations may require a =
reboot. The card hides important disk diagnostics from ZFS.

Borja.