Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 15:16:30 +0200
From:      Cejka Rudolf <cejkar@fit.vutbr.cz>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, mjacob@freebsd.org
Subject:   EOT tape handling changed?

Hi,
  since the beginning of August my backup service stopped to work
in FreeBSD-stable. Finally I understand why. With the revision
scsi_sa.c:1.45.2.12 from Aug 2, the End of Tape is reported by
result zero instead of previous -1/ENOSPC after write() call.

Now I have two "questions":

1) Why it had to be changed at all? If I look into afbackup sources, it
   seems that there is no other such OS, which returns written size 0
   - it seems to me that atleast Solaris, AIX, Irix, Linux, OSF, HPUX,
   OpenBSD and NetBSD all return an error -1 and they set errno to ENOSPC
   (like when there is a full filesystem) or ENXIO. Can anybody confirm
   it, if it is right?

2) Why it had been changed in -stable too? Why not only in -current?
   It breaks atleast one backup program (afbackup), which has to be
   fixed/patched now...

--
Rudolf Cejka <cejkar at fit.vutbr.cz> http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~cejkar
Brno University of Technology, Faculty of Information Technology