Date:      Tue, 2 Sep 1997 19:44:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Jay D. Nelson" <jdn@qiv.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: What do *you* want to know about FreeBSD?

Hmm... I think more on modems. Seems to be a mystery to people growing
out of single user systems. I'm willing to contribute if it's any
help. From the questions I see, something more on the nature of disks
-- cylinders/sectors, etc. Although I have to admit, I don't know
where to go with this since I think what is already written is clear.

For me -- I'd like to see some appendices on parts of FreeBSD that are
either incomplete (LFS, lockd, etc) or have gone beyond what is common
in commercial OSs (NFSv3, etc) and a road map into the future through
3.0. Also, an appendix on performance tuning would be nice, but I
think this may go beyond the scope of your book.

Writing a book like this about a dynamic system for an audience that
covers the gamut from newcomers to the grizzled old timers is
difficult. You've done a good job. Thanks.

-- Jay

On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:

> I'm currently working on the next edition of "The Complete FreeBSD",
> which will be significantly more complete than the current version.
[snip]