Date:      Sat, 24 Feb 1996 23:12:41 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee (Narvi)
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3COM 509 NICs

Narvi stands accused of saying:
> 	A friend of mine wants to set up a FreeBSD box as a router
> 	between 4 ethernets and planns to use 3COM 509 NICs. As I'm the
> 	only one who has used FreeBSD round here, he asked me. So, can
> 	anyone point out any troubles I will immedeately fall into? Will
> 	the 3COM cards give any performance gains over NE2000 compatibles
> 	(there is that unresolved reference to buggyness)?

I'd be inclined to suggest NE2000's.  PIO to/from the card notwithstanding,
the ed driver is very efficient, and NE2000 clones are very cheap.

Whilst I'm sure there are plenty of '509's out there working just fine,
there have been enough unhappy stories about them that I'd be discouraged.

> 	Sander.

All MHO only.